FFBA(LEGAL) - CRISIS INTERVENTION: TRAUMA-INFORMED CARE
Trauma-Informed Care Policy
A district shall adopt and implement a policy requiring the integration of trauma-informed practices in each school environment. A district must include the policy in the district improvement plan required under Education Code 11.252 [see BQ].
The policy must address:
- Using resources developed by the Texas Education Agency (TEA), methods for:
- Increasing staff and parent awareness of trauma-informed care; and
- Implementation of trauma-informed practices and care by district and campus staff; and
- Available counseling options for students affected by trauma or grief.
Education Code 38.036(a)–(b)
The methods for increasing awareness and implementation of trauma-informed care must include training as provided below. The training must be provided:
- Through a program selected from the list of recommended best practice-based programs and research-based practices established under Health and Safety Code 161.325 [redesignated as Education Code 38.351];
- As part of any new employee orientation for all new district educators; and
- To existing district educators on a schedule adopted by TEA that requires educators to be trained at intervals necessary to keep educators informed of developments in the field.
For any training under this provision, a district shall maintain records that include the name of each district staff member who participated in the training.
If a district determines that the district does not have sufficient resources to provide the training required under this provision, the district may partner with a community mental health organization to provide training that meets the requirements at no cost to the district.
Education Code 38.036(c)–(d), (f)
Reporting to TEA
A district shall report annually to TEA the following information for the district as a whole and for each school campus:
- The number of teachers, principals, and counselors employed by the district who have completed training under this provision; and
- The total number of teachers, principals, and counselors employed by the district.
Education Code 38.036(e)